Charred Tomato & Habanero Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
- Servings: Makes 5/12 Cups
- 2 1/2 lbs vine-ripe tomatoes, cored and halved horizontally
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1/2 cup Moore’s Spicy Habanero Wing Sauce
- Salt and pepper
For Grilled Cheese Croutons:
- 4 (1/2 inch thick) sourdough slices from deli
- 4 slices of colby-jack cheese, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Toss halved tomatoes in a large bowl with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat (or you can use a grill). Place tomatoes cut side down in the hot pan to char, do not move tomatoes until they are slightly charred.
- Use a spatula to carefully transfer tomatoes to a pot large enough to hold all ingredients. Add the stock and Spicy Habanero Wing Sauce. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until tomatoes begin to break down.
- Use an immersion blender or blender to puree the soup. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- While the soup is simmering, place cheese halves between bread slices to make two sandwiches.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and melt 1 T. butter. Place both assembled sandwiches in skillet, moving them around the pan to absorb the butter. Place remaining butter in the pan to melt. Flip over the sandwiches and move them around to absorb the butter. Continue cooking over medium heat until each side is golden brown. Remove from pan, cut off the crust and cut into 1-inch squares.
- Ladle soup into 4 bowls, place a crouton in the center of each bowl and serve.